Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Southwest Woman - Part One

There are many women who were instrumental in helping to develop the Southwest. And there have been many women who have chosen to make the Southwest their home. The interesting part of this is that these women seem to have lived very productive and interesting lives, along with living to a ripe old age.

I was born in Wisconsin but fortunately, through my parents, I became a citizen of the Southwest as a very young child when my parents, my brother and I moved to Los Angeles. Growing up in this mystical area, I found myself loving everything about Los Angeles, everything about the beach, and everything about the mountains that surrounded us. I have written extensively about my love for mountains, and now I am going to spend time writing about my love for the Southwest.

Throughout my life I have spent time in, and/or lived in, many different areas of the United States, but I have always returned to the Southwest. Currently I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and this is probably where I will finish my days. Why? Because of the beauty and the mystical nature of the area.

Of course, the entire State of Nevada has its own mystic feeling. That could be because the Native American Indians were the original settlers of this area, but also because anyone moving to Nevada has to have a strong determination to become part of this land. The same thing is true of Arizona and New Mexico. That may be why so many notable women have made the Southwest their final home. As our current Las Vegas Mayor, Oscar Goodman, has said so often – “I love Las Vegas and I’m the happiest Mayor in the universe.”

Of course those of you reading this will probably think “What, Las Vegas? – Why that’s Sin City!: How can it be a mystical place?” Ah, but it is. And the women who have helped to build the State of Nevada can attest to that by the legacy they have left behind.

The First Lady of Las Vegas

Helen Jane Wiser, who became known as “The First Lady of Las Vegas”, was born on April 16, 1854 in Springfield, Illinois. When she was 9 years old her parents moved West, stopping for a short time in the Carson Valley,the Northwest part of Nevada, before moving on to Sacramento. On April 6, 1873, when she was 18, she married Archibald Stewart in Stockton, California. Although Archibald, who was 38 at the time of their marriage, was born in Dublin, Ireland, he was of Scottish descent. At first they lived in Lincoln County where Stewart had business interests. But in 1876 the family, now with 2 young sons, moved to a ranch Stewart owned in Pioche, Nevada where he raised cattle and vegetables. And in 1879 Stewart purchased another local ranch and made a loan which would change the course of Nevada history.

No comments:

Post a Comment